Friday, March 20, 2009

Chop Chop Chop.

You would think I actually enjoy revising. I don't. But, after seeing what a ruthless, fingers-to-the-bone revision did to Camera Shy, I'm revisiting a lot of my other books to see if I can slap them around and turn them into something decent.

So, since completing the Camera Shy slaughter, I've been ripping Luke Boydston's Baby to shreds. (Wow, that really doesn't sound right, does it? I've been ripping the book to shreds.) Anyway, it's coming along quite nicely. The scenes I've added are filling in some gaps in the plot, adding some more tension, etc. For those who have read it: I've made Dara less of a pushover, made Sam a hell of a lot more of a scary asshat, and Luke...well...you'll just have to wait and see, but his role is definitely...erm...expanded. ;)

While I was in this rip-it-apart-and-rebuild-it mode, I decided to have a look at one of my other books that I've been scowling at for the last couple of months: The Wedding Photographer. It still sucks, but it's not quite the irreparable cluster fuck that I thought it was. I can see a few places that need to be cleaned up, a few scenes that can go, but all in all, the story works. The female main character isn't as deserving of a boot in the ass as I thought, for one thing. I still see some major areas that need to be torn down and rebuilt, but I think the end result will be a halfway decent book. Considering how much I hated it in the beginning, I'm quite thrilled with this development. It's kind of nice to realize that all of that work wasn't a total waste of time. The book is still on the back burner for the time being, but the thought of it doesn't cause me to throw up in my mouth anymore.

In the meantime, I'm still plucking away at All The King's Horses. Spit-polishing Camera Shy and finishing Luke Boydston's Baby are my first priorities, then All The King's Horses, then revising Between Brothers, then The Wedding Photographer.

Hooray for Progress. (Dave - Yes. ADHD. I know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment