Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Bugs get pissed off, humans get pissed on.

We were hoping we'd actually get to photograph some cicadas up close yesterday, but every time we'd get near a tree that was full of them, they'd leave. Today, however, two of the trees next to the post office were crawling with them. And I do mean crawling with them...
All the way up the trunk, all over the branches...(bear in mind, these things about 2 inches long...they aren't exactly tiny...)
"We got a mighty convoy..."
"Ready for takeoff!"
Managed to get a pretty cool closeup of this guy:
Then, of course, someone decided to wave a hat at them and scare them, so they all scattered. Now, for those not familiar with cicadas, they are loud. Like, really loud. When they're annoyed or agitated, they're even louder. So you can imagine the noise.

But they don't just get loud...they get pissed. Or rather, they piss. Or something. Whatever the case, bugs fly up, everyone below gets wet. I don't know what they're dropping on us, I'm not sure I want to know, but I'm guessing it's not some sort of nectar of the gods. Then again, it's also not napalm, so I can't complain.

But I did get pissed on.

Yesterday? A crab down the back of my shorts.
Today? Assaulted pisswise by a swarm of angry cicadas.
Tomorrow? I'm staying home. Knowing my luck, a mongoose will try to chew off my arm.

3 comments:

  1. *Snigger*

    You got weed on!!!

    *cough*

    I mean, nice photos, Lori.


    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU GOT PWNED PISSWISE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure those are cicada's - I grew up in Oklahoma and never saw anything but dead ones. Kind of like Armadillos. There are no live armadillows, they are all dead by the side of the road....

    and ha ha for the wee-wee's!

    ReplyDelete