Monday, July 13, 2009

Quirks of Japan, Crabs in Pants, and Other Strangeness

So we went to the beach today, but we also went to a dam and played in the river, then wandered around on one of the breakwaters. In the process, we got a lot of photos that illustrate some of the quirks of living in Japanistan.

For example, the green payphones. This amuses us for some reason. I don't know why.
You see a lot of these mirrors on blind corners and at intersections. If you're smart, you'll actually CHECK the mirrors before proceeding. It only takes one time of ALMOST getting hit by a sugarcane truck to convince you that these mirrors are not just silly decorations.
After all, safety first:
They have wild microwaves here. It's interesting to see them in their natural habitat, but they are rather elusive creatures. This one took off before I could get any more photos, but at least now I can show that I have, in fact, seen a wild microwave.
Evidently there are some very chill snakes with large heads in these woods. Thank God, I was afraid there would be Habu.
You knew it was coming eventually and here it is...the infamous squatty potty:
Apparently this park doesn't like incontinent dogs that shake. Good that they warn you about these things.
They seriously leave nothing to the imagination...
This is a sign for a restaurant that presumably serves pork, beef, chicken, and shrimp. I don't know why, but it creeps me out.
Apparently we're not allowed to pour buckets of water and small fish into the lake, no matter how much giant fish plead for us to do so.
Aqua-robics, this way!
They must have a lot of problems with Americans fishing in this lake, because they actually took the time to print the sign in English.
Anyway. That's life in Japan. On to the beach!

"Abandon Shell!"
I have no idea what this little bug is:
LEMME GO!!
An interesting note about crabs. I truly think you haven't experienced life on a tropical island - or other beach-bearing locale - until you've been sitting on a breakwater, minding your own business, and a small crab climbs up the back of your shorts and falls INTO your shorts.

No, I'm not kidding.

And yes, I have now truly experienced life on a tropical island.

ANYWAY.

Here's Eddie doing what Eddie does best...molesting the local wildlife.
The lake behind the dam...
The bridge...just 'cause...
Now, we went on to White Beach, which is a base we're both quite familiar with. From the parking lot, there is a cave that is distant, but visible. I've photographed it a few times because...well...I don't know. Anyway. Today, something caught my eye. Something hanging in the mouth of the cave that I know wasn't there before. But, squint as I might, I couldn't figure out what it was.

Thankfully, I had the trusty Nikon D70s at the ready with a nice telephoto, and snapped a pic, figuring I could zoom in on PhotoShop and see if that white object of mystery was what I thought it was. Here's the cave. You can see the sliver of white mystery in the center:
And, upon zooming, my suspicions were confirmed:

Someone had a good time in that cave. Well done, whoever you are. Well done.

3 comments:

  1. Is that squatty potty for humans or dogs? :D

    Also - the shrimp? It's not a shrimp. IT'S A PRAWN!!!

    Maybe that bra was Eddie's...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is possibly the best post you've ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pic of Eddie on the phone is great. Love his expression. ;-)

    Wot I haz lerned - Japan is a strange, strange place with silly signs and wonky toilets.

    Much love,

    Adam

    ReplyDelete