Thursday, July 9, 2009

A survey about all things writerly.

I came across this on bettielee's Far Seeing Fairy Tales, and she got it from Isaac Espriu’s Place, who said he found it at Got Muse? A Writer-To-Writer Meme.

And since I can't think of anything else to blog about at the moment, I thought, hell, why not?

1) Where do you write?
On a government-issue piece of shit desk in the corner of our spare room/office. I have a nice view of the street and some of the other buildings, and spend so much time here that I have actually figured out which of the neighbors are *cough* spending time *cough* with which of the neighbors. This place is like a freaking soap opera, I'm telling you. Anyway...piece of shit desk with my aging laptop and usually one or both of my cats occupying space. I used to decorate my old desk with lots of trinkets and crap, but now I've switched to a rather spartan arrangement of laptop, drink and coaster, lamp, notebook and pen, cat, and modem. I have a few pictures and comics pinned to the wall, but that's it.

2) When do you write?
When do I not write? I get up around 7 or 8 in the morning (why? I'm freaking unemployed...why the hell am I up before 10 am???), check e-mail, screw off on Facebook, chat with Adam and Scarlett, then usually get to work around noon. I stop anywhere from 8 pm to midnight, depending on my mood and if I've reached my goal for the day (usually 5,000 words). I don't have specified days off, but if I've gone a long stretch without one (7-10 days isn't uncommon) or I've just finished a book, I'll take a day or two off. No more than three days, though, or it's too hard to get back in the groove.

3) Planner or Pantser?
(For the non-writers reading this, "pantser" refers to someone who flies by the seat of their pants...in other words, they don't plan/outline) I am a flexible planner, which has been discussed at length in previous blog entries.

4) Coffee or tea?
Water. Lots...and lots...of water. Used to drink Dr Pepper, but nixed caffeine.

5) Pen and paper, or computer?
Computer. My handwriting is atrocious. Seriously. That, and I need to do my OCD word count thingies on Excel. I do keep YOOGN handy because sometimes I get stuck when trying to decide how to word something. For whatever reason, if I scribble it down on paper, it helps me sort it, get it just right, then I add it to the manuscript. Maybe it's because I don't care if it's perfect on paper, but I'm a perfectionist about putting it into the actual manuscript. I'm weird, either way.

6) What gets you in the writing mood?
Breathing. And really, whether or not I'm in the mood, it doesn't matter. I have daily goals, I have manuscripts that need to be edited, and the only way I'm going to get anything in print is to put my butt in the chair and write. My mood is irrelevant.

7) What pulls you out of the writing mood?
A rejection can usually kill my mood, but that's why I force myself to write an extra 2,000 words if I receive a rejection. It puts me in the habit of not allowing a rejection to cut into my productivity. If a rejection gets me 2,000 words closer to the end of a current work-in-progress, then it softens the blow of the rejection itself.

8.) What’s the best writing advice you’ve ever read/heard/received?
Shut the fuck up and write. Laugh all you want, it's truly the best piece of advice ever. Stop wangsting, stop making excuses, stop looking for the magic bullet...and write.

9) Got muse?
No. I find inspiration everywhere, but I think the concept of the muse can be almost crippling. It puts the burden of inspiration on something other than the writer, as if all I have to do is sit and wait for the muse to speak. Not so much. That said, Scarlett may as well be a muse for all the times she's said "you know, I'd love to read X, Y, and Z..." and ended up giving me an idea (that's how Between Brothers and Rules of Engagement came into being, as well as Under My Skin, which I'm currently outlining...and BTW, that title came from her too, because she's badass that way).

10)Who is the biggest supporter of your writing?
Tie between Eddie and Scarlett. Eddie encourages me, not to mention he works his ass off so I can stay home and write. Scarlett's read damn near every word I've written in the last year, has kicked me in the ass when I've made excuses, and has also seriously encouraged me. Close second would be Adam (first draft beta reader #2!), Libbie (first draft beta reader since I was still churning out fantasy swill that should never see the light of day), and my parents (who have encouraged me to stick with writing since I first put together a short story in elementary school). Y'all rock.


11)Sound or silence?
Music. Gotta have music. Sometimes I get into a Celtic/New Age mood, sometimes it's industrial rock, sometimes it's just a mix. But I can't write in silence. I cannot, however, have the TV on or people talking in the same room. Distracts me to no end.


What about you? If you want to do this, please be sure and follow the link Got Muse? A Writer-To-Writer Meme and read the instructions for contributing. (We’re writers, we ought to know how to do that!)


Look forward to reading everyone’s answers!

6 comments:

  1. SURVEY!!!

    Shall be fun to do when I'm awake. :-)

    Bet I have a few similar answers... ;)

    *Menny hugz*

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must go fill out now because it seems liek a good time killer while my husband is off killing zombies

    ReplyDelete
  3. bettielee - I taught her everything she knows, therefore, you love MY fucking attitude first, right? BAH!

    *ahem*

    Right. Yeah.

    Hey, Lori - am I your MASTER beta, then? *snerk*

    And what sort of idiot would give you that sort of advice?

    *follows link*

    Oh. Me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clicked through from Dirty Blond's blog, so Hi!

    Was in USAF for 8 years and yeah, it's like a bloomin' soap opera. :)

    ReplyDelete