Monday, July 27, 2009

Why Word Counts Matter (to me)

First things first: Expect a non-writing blog fairly soon, as we're grabbing the cameras and heading out to photographically documentalize life in Japanistan tomorrow (weather permitting, of course).

Also, Scarlett posted an epic blog entry about writer's block and magic feathers. Seriously, one of her best blog entries ever. Even over the ones with photos of Hugh Jackman or Shannon Leto. Read it. Now.

Okay, with all of that nonsense out of the way, on to today's topic...

There is some debate among writers about the benefits of using word counts (daily and otherwise) to measure progress. And for some writers, I'm sure it's pointless at best, counterproductive at worst.

I believe, however, that milestones are tremendously important. Your mileage (HA! SEE WHAT I DID THERE?) may vary, but I rely on them to keep me moving.

Milestones in the rearview mirror give a sense of accomplishment. "I made it." "I covered some ground."

Milestones in the headlights create a sense of urgency. "I can't stop until I pass it." "I'm almost there, I can't quit now."

Now, one of the areas where this causes debate is quality vs quantity. What's the point of hammering out 1,000 words if 897 of them suck?

To that, I have two answers:
  1. Anything written can be edited.
  2. You have just as much talent, skill, and intelligence when you write the 792nd word as you did when you wrote the first. Do you get a bit lazy towards the end? Refer to #1.
Some people prefer to measure their work as it relates to time. X hours at the computer. Y hours writing longhand. Something to that effect. For me, personally, this doesn't work, because I can find all kinds of reasons to agonize over a single paragraph for two hours. And believe me, if I can use it as an excuse not to face the daunting task of starting the next chapter, I will. I have long been the type of person who starts, but doesn't finish. I'm the queen of big dreams, procrastination, and no follow-through. However, give me a tangible goal, a number to taunt me from afar, and just watch me.

If I have a number hanging in front of me - the proverbial carrot on a stick, as Scarlett has called it - the sense of urgency to reach that damned carrot forces me to abandon that single paragraph, promising myself I will work on it when it's time to revise, and move forward. The blank chapter is not nearly as nerve-wracking as that unreached milestone taunting me in the distance.

Knowing this about myself, I have capitalized on it as much as humanly possible. With every project, I keep track of three different word counts:
  1. Daily
  2. Current book
  3. Overall for the year
Here's how a typical day can go, and I swear I am not making this up:

5,000 seems like too much, but the book is only 2,000 away from hitting 30,000. Gotta hit that milestone. *typetypetype* Okay, now I've hit 30,000. Still don't quite feel like doing 3,000 more, but what's this? My 2009 word count is only 1,500 away from 590,000. Yeah, I can do that. *typetypetype* Sweet, now I'm at 590,000, and only have 1,500 to go for the day. That's easy. *typetypetype* Bam, another 2,000 and some change, and now the book is a hair away from 35,000, so I can't stop now...

Little milestones break the goals up into bite-size pieces, and before I know it, I've hit my daily goal and then some. Yes, I obsess over word counts, probably to the point of insanity. I don't deny it. But it gets the words on paper, it gets the story written, and it gets the book finished.

Bottom line:

Find your motivation. Find the carrot to attach to the end of the stick. If it motivates you enough to write and keep writing, then it's perfect.

And now I must go, because come hell or high water, I am hitting 600,000 today...

5 comments:

  1. *And now for the serious one!*

    I agree entirely. The other day, when I had my splurt of writing energy, it was down to milestones:

    1. "Ooh, nearly finished this scene!"
    2. "Ooh, nearly at 2k for the day!"
    3. "Well, I'm nearly finished with THIS scene now..."
    4. "Ooh, nearly at 10k total for the book!"

    Milestones rawk.


    *Menny more hugz*

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't have a target, your writing will be aimless.

    Scarlett has spoken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, for those who use words counts as a target that you are a shining example of what is doable in terms of word count. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scarlett - Indeed, you have spoken. And you have spoken the truth.

    Diana - Thanks!

    Adam - Hehe, glad I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete