Thursday, September 3, 2009

So close, and yet so far. And some thoughts on NaNoWriMo.

We got on a plane to Japan yesterday, and finally landed in the Land of the Rising Sun. Unfortunately, we're in Yokota, which is still a 2 hour flight from Okinawa. A 2 hour flight that, I hasten to add, doesn't leave until tomorrow. *sigh* At least we're closer to home now.

Anyway, my internal muse has apparently been working overtime, because my lengthy flights have resulted in three new ideas now. One will be back-burnered until I have time to look at it. One is going to require copious amounts of research, so likely won't be written for a few months. The third, which came to me yesterday while I tried to sleep on the floor of a C-17 cargo jet, is coming together rather quickly. Its current working title is One Too Many, but I'm sure this will change once it's actually outlined. There's a good possibility that it will be my NaNoWriMo project, but it's tough to say.

Speaking of NaNoWriMo, it's coming up quick. Less than 2 months away. Since last year's NaNo, I've managed to maintain my momentum (when I'm not traveling) and 50K a month is a piece of cake for me now. But I still want to participate in NaNo '09...I'm just trying to figure out how to up the ante a little bit.

Here are my ideas so far:
  1. Higher total word count. I'm thinking 150K.
  2. Multiple books. Probably 3, since my usual turnaround for a novel is 2-3 weeks.
  3. Different genre. Something other than romance or erotica.
  4. ???
Any ideas?

4 comments:

  1. You're nearly home, Lori! YAY!

    How about a series of three books, each about the same event, but told from three PoVs?

    Or, a romance, and erotic romance and something else, all based around the same theme?

    Or... Um... I'll let ya know. ;)

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me? Completely mad?

    Oh yeah.

    That's news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so looking forward to NaNoWriMo. It'll be my first this year. I really like the fact that you're working on several projects at once. You inspire me to also do 50K every month. How hard can it be. It's like running a marathon every month right? As for ideas, mine is already set. I'm writing my third novel from start to finish. I call it A Coward's Solace.

    ReplyDelete