Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Open Mic: The secrets we keep.

Yes, it's Tuesday Open Mic again.

I was talking to someone the other day about the Harry Potter series, and JK Rowling's comment that, although it's never stated outright in the books, one of the characters was actually bisexual. (I haven't actually read the series, so forgive me if I can't remember all the names/details, but you probably know what I'm talking about)

Anyway, it got me thinking. Our characters often do strange and unpredictable things, but what do you know about your characters that never actually makes it onto the page? What little secrets do you and your characters keep? Of course you don't have to mention names/titles, since...duh...secrets.

Me? Appropriately enough, given the Harry Potter discussion, I have one male main character who's actually bisexual. I know who the female main character of Between Brothers ends up with eventually. I have characters who are colorblind, atheist, or have a fear of heights, but it was either cut from the final or just never made it into the story because it wasn't relevant.

The floor is now open. Tell me your characters' secrets, loyal blog minions.

5 comments:

  1. Which character was bi? I had a priest who turned out to be gay. But I had to force him to straighten up because he was an historical character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dumbledore (fyi)

    Whenever I write anything about a powerful family I always have to put in something corrupt in either the way they got their power, or how they kept it. Not sure why.

    My current story follows the glamorous heir to a fashion empire. My dirty little secret is that the empire was founded by her thieving grandfather as a con. People just never caught on.

    I know it's not really the same as a secret about a character, but still, families can act as one character sometimes and they're perfect for keeping secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knew about the gay, did not know about the bi. Must... read... books... AGAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bi one hasn't been published yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete