Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tweaking, tweaking, tweaking.

For some reason, my characters like to drop epiphanies in my head at inopportune times. Like, say, when I'm trying to sleep.

Last night was no exception. I was lying there, minding my own business, when...
...it came to me.

Apparently I've been approaching Static all wrong. What I thought was the main conflict needs to be relegated to the background. A subplot needs to be the main conflict. Two major scenes can be reduced to a paragraph apiece, while another paragraph is now going to be expanded to occupy the better part of a chapter. Oh, and the story needs to be told from two points of view, not one. Thanks for telling me sooner, you buttheads.

At least I was only 11,000 words into it, so the rewriting and revamping won't be as complicated as if I'd already knocked out 30,000 or more. I'm quite happy about that.

I'm still a bit iffy about this story and whether or not I can pull it off. I love a challenge, don't get me wrong, this story just has some things that are, as I've mentioned before, a few miles out of my comfort zone. Fortunately, I have someone helping me who is much more familiar with some of the issues involved. Still, I'm reserving judgment about whether or not it'll sink or swim until I have a hell of a lot more of it written. I had the same reservations about Reconstructing Meredith, though for different reasons. Pretty sure I could do it, but concerned about a few specific things that could either be non-issues or major problems. So, let's call it "guarded optimism."

Anyway, now that I've figured out the problems, time to implement the solutions. The outline is getting torn apart, the existing material ripped to shreds, THEN I can finish writing the damned thing.

Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment