Sunday, March 11, 2012

John Carter of...Rome?

So my husband and I went to see John Carter last night in IMAX 3D. Loved the film, OMG! It was like a mix of science fiction, fantasy, and steampunk with some really funny moments thrown in.

But I have to admit there was something that tripped me out a little. Not enough to pull me out of the film or anything, but enough to make me sit up and go "Wait...seriously?"

It's no secret I have a wee bit of a thing for James Purefoy. And his presence in the film was part of why I wanted to see John Carter in the first place (that and it sounded like a wickedly awesome story coupled with some amazing visual effects). So I was looking forward to some Purefoy on the big screen.

As a general rule, though, I don't read a lot about films before I see them. I'll watch a trailer, and that's it. No reviews, no comments about them, no background, etc, because invariably, someone ruins it for me if I do. So I had no idea that there would come a moment when I would think, "Holy shit, deja vu!"

Because when I saw this:
I immediately thought this:
Trippy? Just a bit.

But I love Ciaran Hinds and James Purefoy, especially together, and I loved Purefoy's character in this movie. I loved the whole movie.

GO SEE IT AT ONCE.

3 comments:

  1. looool.. yeah I also thought the same when I watch it :D I keep laughing when watching that in that world Mark Anthony still become Caesar's minion... hahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the exact same thing, also if you didn't notice John Carter's lawyer at the start of the movie is played by the same actor who played Posca (Caesars slave) in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! I noticed Posca too. Must have been a Rome reunion on the John Carter set! lol

    Pity they didn't have Kevin McKidd on board. Especially with him and Purefoy working together like they did on Bedrooms & Hallways.

    *cough* What??? hehehe

    ReplyDelete