Friday, August 22, 2008

Oh hellz yeah.

So with my lack of a paycheck, and needing to get the house squared away in fairly short order, one of our biggest concerns has been how to pay for recarpeting our house. Carpet = not cheap.

We absolutely HAVE to replace the bedroom, stairs, and living room. Five indoor cats over the past almost four years have wreaked havoc on the poor carpet (mostly from clawing and stuff like that...but we also had one who made some kitty messes on my carpet...note I said "had"...).

My old roommate was here a while back and said I should at least look under the carpet and see if there's a viable floor underneath. It's an old house, and sometimes they carpet right over the top of a perfectly useable floor.

So tonight, now that all of my furniture is gone, curiosity got the best of me. I grabbed a trusty pair of gloves (dude, those tack strips HURT... I never attack a rug without gloves anymore) and some various tools, I pulled up a chunk of carpet.

And there it was:

Hardwood flooring.

That sound you hear is angels singing from the heavens, and me yelling "FUCK YES!" in perfect harmony.

Now, it's damaged in a few places (water damage from a leak by a window and by the front door). But at least in a few places that I've checked, it LOOKS viable. And it's quite nice looking, I should say. It's too soon to say whether this is going to work, but it's a good sign, and I'll take all the good news I can get right now.

So tomorrow...I'm ripping the carpet off the stairs and seeing if there's a decent floor underneath. If so...I'll be spending the next few days sanding and varnishing while the cats look at me like I've lost my ever-loving mind.

And now I find myself strangely optimistic about this situation for the first time in weeks.

HOORAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment