Sunday, September 7, 2008

Hurricane disappointments and writing OCD.

Hanna has apparently decided to go bitch slap Richmond and pretty much go around my area. Dammit - I was hoping for a wicked storm. :( On a positive note though, it means I still have power. YAY!

I think I am going to stick to my original plan of just hanging out today, though. My knees are threatening to go on strike from all of this crawling around on the floor. That, and I feel the need to work on my novel for once. Working on my vampire story and a few other projects has actually rekindled my desire to finish my main WIP. Last night I finished one chapter and made a lot of headway on another.

I am somewhat OCD about word counts and things like that. At the end of a writing session, I must check the word count on the chapter and add it to my total tally for that particular project. I get annoyed if I don't get at least 2,000 words done during a writing session, and watching my total word count grow is, for some odd reason, motivation to keep writing. I guess it's because once I get past the 50,000 mark, I find myself more determined to get to the end. I've come that far, I have to finish. I also get weird over milestones: if I see that I am THISCLOSE to, say 60,000 words, it will bug me incessantly until I actually PASS said milestone.

Last night, I was inching closer to one of the big milestones: 100,000. I finished a chapter, and worked on another, and got to the point where I simply could not look at the screen anymore. It was 2 am, and I was done. So I checked my word counts, added it to the tally.

99,115 words.

SON OF A BITCH! So fucking close!!!

*sigh* I told you I was weird about it. Now if you'll excuse me, I must cut this blog short. I have a milestone to reach today...

No comments:

Post a Comment