Monday, March 30, 2009

So that's why writers drink.

After ignoring it for three months, I finally pulled Fit for a King out, dusted it off, and started tearing it into little pieces so I can revise the snot out of it. Being the idiot I am, I decided to partake in this brilliant (*snort*) idea about two hours before I went to bed...giving me ample time to become completely reacquainted with the story and engrossed in the characters.

Then I went to bed.

And my characters. Would. Not. Shut. UP.

They've been nice and quiet since December, when I finished the first draft. After four years of bouncing it around in my head, I finally got a decent outline together, came up with an ending, pounded the story out, then went on to other projects while the characters politely went into hibernation. For the first time in four years, they weren't elbowing me every five minutes saying "hey, write our story. Please? C'mon. Just write it. WTF?"

Well, now that I've revisited their story, they have come out of hibernation, hit the espresso, and are poking my brains with sticks, demanding my attention. So...here it is...5:30 am...and I'm up. Because I can't sleep. Because they won't STFU.

This, folks, is how Playing With Fire was written in five days: Because the characters wouldn't leave me alone, and I wasn't going to get a moment's peace until the story was out of my head. (I slept like the dead the night after I finished that book) They drive me INSANE. (I know, it's not exactly a long drive...but still...)

Considering I have an almost sentimental attachment to the characters in Fit For a King, I foresee some serious caffeine intake over the next few days (especially if I'm trying to do ScriptFrenzy at the same time...there's a very real possibility that SF will be taking a backseat to this revision, for the sake of what's left of my sanitah).

If you're reading this and wondering what kind of medication I am - or should be - taking, well, you probably aren't a writer.

If you're reading this and thinking, "Yep, I feel ya, Boo", well...you're obviously a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment