Wednesday, June 24, 2009

First Day of Insanity

First, I know that most of my blogs lately have been writing-related. We haven't been out and about on the island as much as we'd like because of Eddie's work schedule, several storms coming through, and munniez, but we're hoping to get out and wreak havoc again soon.

In the meantime, there will be writing-related blog entries. Such is life. I'm a writer. I blog about writing.

Today was the first day of the "writing without an outline" experiment. Within the first 1,000 words, I ended up changing the title from The Invitation to The Best Man, because the characters ran off with a scene and did things a little differently.

So far, I'm 7,500 words into the story, and I like how it's going. The three main characters are all introduced now, and there's some conflicty tensiony stuff going on. No idea where everything is going to end up, but it seems to be on a roll. It's kind of cool, this whole "just run with it, no planning, no notes" thing, but it's still intimidating. I'm still worried I'm going to run into some sort of dead end. I'm having faith in my characters, though.

Which I have to.

Because they've taken over.

The Best Man is, like no other novel I've ever attempted, a total characterocracy.

Day 1 of Insanity Experiment: Success!

1 comment:

  1. There is no such thing as a dead end!!! ;-)

    Also - Robot. Ninja. Pen-fingers.

    *Menny hugz*

    Adam

    ReplyDelete