Thursday, July 2, 2009

On Differing Styles.

Yes, it's a writing post. Another one.

Anyway. On a message board that Scarlett (and Adam) and I frequent, there are a number of questions that crop up over and over and over. There is some variation, but they boil down to the same basic question: "Is it okay to write my book this way?" Every possible thing you can imagine: Do I have to outline? Can I write in this font? Should I focus on writing X amount of words a day, or writing for Y amount of hours?

And so on.

Time and time again, the answer is the same: "This is how I do it, but whatever works for you. The end result is all that matters."

Yet people are still concerned that if they don't do it the magic "right way", they're doomed to failure. So, for the hell of it, I'm going to do a side-by-side comparison of my writing techniques with Scarlett's, simply to prove the point that two writers can approach the work completely differently, but still succeed.

I outline.
She doesn't.

I write out of sequence.
She writes in sequence.

I separate each chapter into its own document, then compile them at the end.
She keeps her entire manuscript in one document.

I edit as I write.
She holds off on editing until she's done with the first draft.

You get the idea. We have very different approaches to writing, but the bottom line is that we both get the words on paper and the books completed. There is no magic right way. The only wrong way is not writing at all.

Incidentally, another difference in our styles (as pointed out by Scarlett earlier) is a fluctuation in speed.

As she gets close to the end of a book, she freaking flies. The first 2/3 or so of the book might happen at a relatively even pace...say, 3-5K a day or so. But when she gets down to those last chapters? 8K+ a day, easily. The last few chapters are always the fastest for her.

I, on the other hand, hit a wall around the 80% mark. My 10K+ days usually happen in the first 50% of the book. As I get closer to the end, it gets harder and harder to meet my daily goal of 5K.

Part of this is a result of writing in sequence vs out of sequence. When she's close to the end, she's down to the exciting scenes. The climax, the denouement, the good stuff. By the time I get close to being done, I've already written all the good stuff. I'm down to the scenes that, while necessary, aren't nearly as exciting or fun to write. For example, right now, I'm 50,000 words into The Best Man, out of an estimated 75,000 or so. The first 10 and last 5 chapters are done...I'm just filling in everything in between. So of course, I'm writing the coolest scenes first, putting off the "blah, don't want to write" scenes until I have nothing left but "blah, don't want to write" scenes. Which of course means that the last 10-15K are agony to write. But, nothing motivates me to slog through such scenes more than knowing that once I'm done with the scene, I'll be done with the damned book. "The End" is a powerful motivator, let me tell you.

So, she has the excitement of the end scenes motivating her to write even faster. I have the boring scenes, but "the end" is so close I can taste it, so I slog through.

But either way...bottom line...we both get to the end. RESULT!

And one final difference between us?

Scarlett's workspace isn't under siege by an invading force of cat. The army of cat fat has reached 50% occupation:
And I should mention that I didn't just walk in and find them like this. I was typing when Midget decided to park her butt on YOOGN and my keyboard. Little brat...

7 comments:

  1. Iz all vereh true.

    There is only one unbreakable rule in writing:

    BLOODY WRITE!!!


    That is all.

    Adam, wot couldn't fink of nowt constructive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of this is a result of writing in sequence vs out of sequence. When she's close to the end, she's down to the exciting scenes. The climax, the denouement, the good stuff. By the time I get close to being done, I've already written all the good stuff.

    Never looked at it this way before, but you're onto something, I believe.

    It's not so much that our 'blah' scenes are truly boring; they're essential to the plot but they just don't have guns, bombs, explosions, car-chases and rampant horny sex in them. Perhaps they could involve conversations more than anything, or revelation of character. Essential, but not so adrenaline-fuelled.

    So yeah, by the time I am nearly done, I'm over those scenes so have all the excitement to come. The denooming!

    I think I'm a carrot writer; you go for the stick. I tempt myself forwards by dangling the carrot of climax (!) in front of me, whereas you beat yourself on the arse with the stick of nearly-*pant*-done-*wheeze*.

    God, I'm good at analogies.

    So, she has the excitement of the end scenes motivating her to write even faster. I have the boring scenes, but "the end" is so close I can taste it, so I slog through.


    I still prefer the carrot/stick analogy.

    I has no cats on my desk/coffee table, but I am waging a war on B-NoDs and sweetie papers!

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I meant to add - not only am I outlining Plus One but if I'm doing things your way when I write that novel, I should also try writing out of sequence. So we'll see if outlining/writing non-sequentially has an effect on my end-of-project wordsplurts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Except for the font question, the answer to all those question is: "Do what works for you."

    The answer to the fonts question is: The easiest font for the editor to read.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Font can be changed later.

    Writing is writing, there is good writing and bad writing but it is not the process that determines wich one you have as an end result but talent and hard work.

    Those "am I doing it right?" post are always a great time killer though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re: Font - I meant that somewhat tongue in cheek, but in all seriousness, the font you use when you WRITE it doesn't matter. Scarlett and I both write in Courier New size 12, but there's nothing that says you can't use TNR, Comic Sans, or whatever. The only rules are about what font you use when you *submit*. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just reached the point in my WIP where it's action-action-action. The major conflict is fast approaching, and the main character is turning from a sympathetic, likeable girl into an icy puppet of the republic. I have considered calling in sick to work a few times so I could pull out 12K words and get that much closer to the BIG SECRET REVEAL (hint: Oh shit, the baby is a girl!) but I really need the money, so hi-ho, hi-ho, etc.

    I'm definitely finding that writing in-sequence is nice for me, because it is motivating me like you can't believe. I called Will and told him I'm not coming home this weekend. I need to write. At least he was understanding. And I've got a three-day weekend after that where I promised him I wouldn't write unless he was asleep. So, win. I might actually be able to finish this novel in two straight days of frantic, frenzied writing.

    ReplyDelete