Sunday, July 5, 2009

RUN! It's BUGZILLA!

EDIT: The consensus of this Creature of Buzzingz Past is that it is a Cicada. Which makes sense, considering all the racket I've heard the last few days.

So one of the joys of living in this kind of climate is that bugs get rather large. Today, Eddie found this creature perched on the side of a wall next to our apartment.
Fortunately, it didn't bite us, owing mostly to the fact that it was dead.
Did I mention it was rather large?

Because it was:
And if anyone knows WTF this thing is, do feel free to post in the comments, because I'm completely baffled. It looks like the illegitimate lovechild of a bumblebee and a tick.
So there you have it. One of the joys of island life...big bugs.

I'm still waiting for Mothra to make an appearance, probably followed by Godzilla...

4 comments:

  1. No idea. It's kind of cute, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's from a Cicada. But that's not a dead one, just it's shedding from when it came out of the ground. I have captured part of the process here:
    www.strawberrykangaroo.deviantart.com/art/cicada-story-36067039
    I think they are absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete