Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Blame Canada.

I didn't get any writing done today. I blame Canada.

No, really.

Because that's where I was all day:
Okay, not at the government building, but we were indeed in Canada. Why? Why not? Eddie asked if I felt like going, I said to hell with it, and 15 minutes later we were in the car and northbound. We would have stayed for a few hours, but the car was making funny noises, so I thought it best to head back to the States. I really didn't want to be the idiot with the broken down car in line at the border (though judging by the number of blinking hazard lights in said line, I would have been in good company).

But we did have a good time, even if it was short. This is what Vancouver looks like:
Rain and buildings. Pretty exciting, eh? Personally, I like the gargoyles and seagulls combination here:
And of course, being Canada, there was lots of maple syrup to be had. Seriously, they sell this shit by the bucket. It's everywhere. I think we even saw junkies on the corner shooting up with it.
Gotta love the bilingual labels:
Oddly enough, the bilingual label wasn't strange to me. It was the fact that I could, more or less, read the second language. I'm used to seeing English/Japanese.

We ate lunch here (how exciting, right? I just thought it was a cool looking sign):
Now, I did have some legitimate reasons for going to Canada. Two of them are hyuh:
Smarties are a pain in the ass to find in the States, and Bounty bars haven't been sold this side of the Peace Arch since I was in grade school. YOU COMMUNISTS!

Speaking of the Peace Arch...those of you who have read The Best Man may remember this line:

Eventually, the white Peace Arch came into view. It was a monument dedicated to the longstanding peace between Canada and the United States, but to anyone traveling between the countries, it had long ago become a symbol of “thank God, we’re finally going to get out of this fucking traffic”.

My friends who have not seen it before, behold the might and glory that is The Peace Arch:
And yes, when I saw it, the first thing I thought was..."thank God, we're almost out of this fucking traffic..." We had, after all, been inching towards the border for nearly two hours.

So there you have it. Our exciting trip to Vancouver, British Columbia.

Also, while we were there, I saw something that gave me pause. Well, "made me drool" is more like it.

I, like many writers, dream of hitting it big. And hitting it big includes making some seriously big money. I mean, who doesn't want a shitload of money, right? But every once in a while, something comes along that reminds me of just how cool it would be to have that kind of money.

Today, I saw such a thing.

And here it is:
This car is so cool, even God was drooling on it:
Little silver Lamborghini, one day you will be mine. Oh yes. You will be mine...

6 comments:

  1. Smarties? In a BOX?!?!!? Madness!!!

    Nice pics, Lori, especially the gargoyles. :-)

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. That car makes my toilet area tingle.

    Or is that thrush again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pfft.

    Definitely thrush.


    Adam, trained healthcare professional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in Canada once. Didn't get off the boat, but I was technically in it. (Is it bad if it took me three minutes to find the bird in the gargoyle picture?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As if you guys can't get Smarties in the States. You poor, poor people.

    ReplyDelete