Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I'm in ur book, doctoring ur proze.

The doctor is IN.

Specifically, Dr. Scarlett. I know, I know, I rave about her on this blog more often than not, but that praise is well-earned.

On today's episode of "Book ER", she was faced with helping me revamp the beginning of Nine Tenths of the Law. Now, I do edit as I write, but that's usually just some minor prose tweakery. I usually save stuff like this until the first draft is done. In this case, though, it was bothering me to the point of distraction.

It all began a few weeks back when I'd given chapter 1 to my trusty first draft beta readers, Scarlett and Adam. At that point, Adam expressed some concerns about the beginning. The chapter was a bit slow to start. Though the reader was hooked by the end of the chapter, the first few pages were a bit "meh".

Now, when it comes to publishing, nothing says "kiss of death" like "slow to get started". The first paragraph had better grab the reader by the short n curlies and not let go until the end of the last page. So, naturally, it was of great concern to me that Nine Tenths of the Law didn't commence short n curly grabbing until a few pages in.

So I consulted with Scarlett, the Great and Powerful Book Doctor. Being the benevolent soul that she is, she took some time away from Plus One (have I mentioned how much I love that book, by the way? Because I seriously do.) to have a go at my first chapter. After a few minutes of tweaking and fiddling, she zapped it back to me across the intertubes.

And...

...RESULT!

Short n curlies grabbed by the second SENTENCE. It required some use of flashbacks, but was expertly done - as one would expect when Scarlett is involved - and...well...it fucking worked.

Sweet.

Now I feel better about finishing the book itself, because the beginning and ending are up to snuff. In fact, now I feel a bit obligated to finish the book because Scarlett has inflicted her genius upon it, and I would be remiss (read: summarily executed) if I trunked it now. No pressure.

In all seriousness, I sing the praises of my beta readers and book doctor because they are so, so, soooooo valuable. Adam and Scarlett are both more then willing to let me know, in no uncertain terms, if something in the book is made of fail. Adam called me out on something with The Best Man that resulted in an additional chapter near the end, one that I think helped the story tremendously. Scarlett has ripped countless chapters, scenes, even entire plots, to shreds and watched in smug satisfaction as something better rose from the ashes. Yeah, sometimes it stings, but a thick skin is required in this business. Darlings must be killed, shit must be removed, and it must be done without apology. So, I owe you two big time.

The fact that I have a beta reader and book doctor rolled into one is even better. Not only does she have no qualms about telling me "this blows...sort it, shithead", but she is more than willing to roll up her sleeves, whip out some tools of butchery, and slaughter my failing prose into submission.

I can't emphasize enough, my loyal blog minions, the importance of having brutally honest beta readers. Writing is, to an extent, a solitary occupation, but nothing has benefitted me more as a writer than obtaining a harem of trigger-happy beta readers and a writing partner that is worth her weight - hell, my weight - in gold. Find someone like this, my friends. And when you do, hold onto them. Keep them chained in the basement. Whatever it takes, do not let them get away.

Fortunately, I don't have to keep my writing partner chained in my basement.

I just keep her well-supplied with mancandy photos, and she stays around.

Speaking of which...this should keep her around for a while:
Little of this for good measure...
Hell, who am I kidding? This one's for my own enjoyment..
And, while I'm at it, this one's for Vanessa, who's been demanding that I post some eyecandy for her. Since she has been one of my loyal blog minions from the get-go, I shall happily oblige:
Thanks again to my loyal beta readers and Dr. Scarlett, The Book Doctor. Y'all rock.

7 comments:

  1. I got a mention!!! *Happy dance*

    Srsly though, I'm happy to help, Lori. :-)

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you've been complaining about 'something' not being right with 9/10 but it honestly read okay to me. Well, better than okay, but that's by the by...

    However!

    If you think my fiddlingz and tweakeration have squeezed every last drop of winjuice out of Zach and Nathan then that gives me a warm feeling in my chest, like my heart has wet itself.

    Pretty easy to 'book doctorify' a...well, a book...when the raw material is so good, but if praising me means you post photos of James Purefoy in your blog then hell - praise me all you like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What, no Teller for Libbie? :'( I'll also accept a Harry Houdini.

    No, seriously, you're so, so right. Having SERIOUS beta readers who really want to help you improve your work is key. And I love you and Scarlett and Adam for being so kickass. (Speaking of Adam, guess whose rad novella I'm finishing up beta-ing tonight. And I thought I didn't like paranomral humorous fantasy.)

    Nothing is less helpful than a beta reader who thinks you just want to hear the good stuff. You need to hear what sucks so you can unsuck it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.lasvegasvegas.com/pennteller.jpg

    There ya go, Libbie. :D

    Woo, I get mah beta back soon! *Happy dance*

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Libbie is a kickass beta reader too!! :D Apologies for neglecting to mention you. :D

    Libbie rocks as a beta reader, especially since she called one of my antagonists a cock-rocket. 'Cause, I mean, he really is one...

    ReplyDelete
  7. If nothing else, at least I leave entertaining red text sprinkled throughout your manuscripts.

    Thanks, Adam! <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

    ReplyDelete