Saturday, December 26, 2009

Teh Picking of Teh Brainz

Okay, so apparently I'm allergic to "write what you know", and I've found myself in a bit of a bind with an upcoming WIP, Cover Me. (Blame my muse and title ninja, Scarlett, for that particular story...it will most likely be my project du jour when The Ties That Bind is finished)

I have a situation that is proving to be a bit of stumbling block. So, my loyal blog minions, I wish to pick your collective brainz.

Here's my scenario:

The victim has been attacked (undecided between stabbing, gunshot, whatever), and the paramedic needs to perform some sort of delicate, life or death procedure. Something urgent that has to be done right now and if screwed up (or delayed), could kill or seriously injure the victim. Like a tracheotomy, though I haven't been able to come up with a scenario where he'd realistically have to perform that (ideas?).

The setting is a modern day city in a rather rundown, high-crime area, and the attack happens on the sidewalk or in the street (haven't decided between day or night). Her attacker is part of a drug ring, she's an undercover cop.

My biggest concern is having the paramedic under pressure to do something in which time is of the essence and a steady hand/complete focus are necessary for the victim's survival. The scene has to be out in the open (on the street, sidewalk, whatever). Everything else is pretty flexible.

Thoughts? Ideas? Comment or e-mail. Rewards may include a Friday Mancandy blog with the mancandy and theme of your choosing.

3 comments:

  1. I'm kind of just a lurker on your site, so I'm sure you don't know who I am. But I have a suggestion for you. There was an episode of Trauma that had a similar situation, where it was life or death and the paramedic had to deal with it.

    There are two main arteries in the abdominal area (and you might have to do some research, because I'm not exactly sure where) that form a Y shape. If, say a person was stabbed or shot there, just barely missing the two, then everything would be fine. But if either one of them were nicked, then the person would bleed out in less than a few minutes.

    Therefore, the paramedic would have to preform an emergency surgery to tie the one, or two, arteries off.

    I hope that helps you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If a victim had severe facial swelling due to a broken jaw or palate, an emergency tracheotomy would need to be done. Normal intubation would not be possible in the event of a blocked airway, so the trach would be the only alternative. A broken jaw or palate would be a closed fracture, meaning that there would be no scarring or visible damage to the face. Perhaps blunt force trauma to the face and ribs, requiring an emergency trach due to severe swelling and in anticipation of placement of a chest tube and possible exploratory surgery to look for bone fragments near the heart?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A crushed (strangling) or severed (knife or gun wound) trachea would require an emergency tracheotomy done below the site of the damage. There's also a simple pneumothorax which could require an emergency chest tube. Any type of puncture wound or even a broken rib could cause a pneumo.

    ReplyDelete