Thursday, December 10, 2009

When it rains...

...it pours.

And in this case, that's a good thing. Well, a little annoying, but overall a good thing.

I mentioned yesterday that Scarlett and I whipped up the characters, conflict, and title for On The Fence in about 20 minutes flat. So far, it's coming along swimmingly, though I'm not yet sure where the story is going to go. It's not outlined yet, I'm just winging it through the first few chapters to see what happens. It looks quite promising.

But tonight? I took a little break to spend some time with my husband, and in between watching In Bruges and South Park (both films are fucking brilliant, by the way, in case you haven't seen either of them), a new idea came to me. Out of the clear blue sky, into my outstretched hands, came the idea for a story tentatively called The Ties That Bind (pending approval by Scarlett).

And I'm fucking stoked about it. Seriously. Normally, I wangst about whether or not a new book has enough conflict. This one has so damned much conflict right off the bat that it makes my head spin. Just the inciting incident makes me woozy...in a giddy "I can't wait to write this" way, and a queasy "how the hell am I supposed to solve this??" kind of way. Now, it's a wee bit outside of my normal genre. There will be plenty of those scenes (tm), but if I had to hazard a guess during this early stage, I'd say it's more contemporary or mainstream fiction than romance.

For the time being, Nocturne remains in time-out. On The Fence shall continue as scheduled, commencing tomorrow (since I'm taking tonight to tinker with this other outline). Then, I'm all over The Ties That Bind like white on rice, because I haven't been this excited about a story since...oh...a while.

That should be enough to keep me busy for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment