Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Two good days in a row.

Refreshed, recharged, and I've got my mojo back. Cover Me went screaming past the Milestone of Destinah yesterday and is, at this moment, inching towards 21,000. I've finished one of the scenes that required the most research and planning, and so far I like the result.

Now, will this continue? Hell if I know. With a few projects stalled in the mid-30s, I'm not going to jump the gun and say whether this one will fly or fail. So far, so good, though. I spent today making my main character's life a living hell, and that will continue tomorrow. Hopefully he'll forgive me, since I've promised him several of those scenes (tm) to make up for it.

I've also reached an interesting milestone in my evolution as a writer. Today marked the first time I've ever used the phrase "tap-dancing scorpions". I'm not sure what this says about my evolution as a writer, but I'm sure it's somehow significant.

In other news, my good friend Loki is making plans to come see me at the end of March, so I'll actually have a visitor from the States - hooray! And since she's a writer, there will be much fun, frivolity, and workaholism in between visiting tourist traps and sushi bars. She's one of those people who has been a crazy huge influence on my writing since the early years of fantasy failure, so it'll rock having her in my clutches for a whole week. Shweet.

Anyway, back to writing...

5 comments:

  1. The question is do you plan on using that phrase again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there is call to use it again, I might, but I have a feeling it might lose some of its lustre if used more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tap-dancing scorpions, is it?

    Huh.

    And I agree with avoiding second use of unique tropes. Though "Wishing you scads of tap-dancing scorpions" would be a great way to sign books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so signing my books that way from now on...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read said chapter and it PWNS. Yes, PWNS. You heard me. PWNS!

    You made me say it thrice.

    Also...this book will not stall.

    I have spoken.

    ReplyDelete