Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Let the jitters begin.

First of all, expect some Japanistan-flavored entries soon. We're going to start venturing out of the house more now that the weather is - knock on wood - improving. We've got a list of a few places we'd like to visit soon, plus we're checking into some scuba courses (about damned time...), so be ready for some photographic frivolity in the near future.

Anyway...it's T minus 48 hours until The Next Move is released. Let the jitters, insomnia, and general wangsting begin.

With all the jitters in mah brainz, I'm tempted to take today off from The Opposite of You and some time to go over another manuscript that has been patiently and quietly sitting on the back burner for months. Editing is easier than writing when my mind is trying to wander, and at least I'd be getting something done besides sitting here chewing my nails. Tempting, but I'm undecided if I should give in to that temptation. The Opposite of You has already been sidelined a couple of times while I've worked on edits, so I want to make sure I'm not just giving myself a pass to not work on it. The story has given me some trouble, and has been perilously close to the Wangstbasket several times, even after I rewrote the outline. While it has passed the first Milestone of Destinah, I can't say for sure it's safe from the Wangstbasket yet.

Speaking of distractions, Through a Glass Darkly is becoming more of one by the day. At Libbie's recommendation, I watched The Prestige the other night, since it also involves stage illusionists. (Highly recommend the movie, BTW, though I'm of two minds about some aspects of the ending...) Anyway, now that I've watched that, I've got magicians all up in my brain, and the characters of Through a Glass Darkly are demanding my attention. Bastards.

So, at this point, I don't know what's going to happen with The Opposite of You. I don't know if it's just bad timing for this particular story because of all the distractions or if it's truly fatally flawed, but I'll keep working in it until I figure it out one way or the other.

And once I'm done with that book, whether it's written or Wangstbasketed? Magicians, baby. It's all about the magicians.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy having magicians all up in your brain. They never really leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So there's no way to make them...disappear?

    XD

    ReplyDelete