Friday, October 23, 2009

Stuff in the offing and a request of my loyal blog minions.

Once again, I need the assistance of my loyal blog minions, but first, an update of the writerly persuasion...

The eagle-eyed and/or bored among you may have noticed that there are now three word counters on the right side of my blog. World Enough and Time won't be starting until November 1st, but I'm going to be plucking away at Closer between now and then. I started Closer a few months ago, then put it aside, but I've picked it back up, dusted off the outline, revamped a few things, and am ready to give it a go again.

Closer is going to progress a little differently than most of my books. Normally, I write one at a time and grind straight through them, aiming to finish a first draft in 2-3 weeks. With Closer, I'm probably going to write one or two chapters a day at most, and it'll be happening while I work on other projects too.

Why am I doing this?

The answer is quite simple: Closer contains a serious abundance - no, infestation - of those scenes(tm). More precisely: 38 of 53 chapters. Yes, my loyal blog minions, Closer could very well be dirtier than Between Brothers, at least as far as quantity of those scenes(tm). So, in order to keep from burning myself out, I'm going to slow things down a bit and work on it as I have the time/energy to do so.

Meanwhile, World Enough and Time will be written as per my usual methods. And speaking of that little WIP, that brings me to the aforementioned request of my loyal blog minions:

I'm looking for poems.

Yes, poems.

Specifically, those with romantic or erotic undertones, and I prefer them from the Elizabethan era. I've got Shakespeare pretty well covered, especially thanks to Scarlett (who has also provided me with a few others), but any other poets - whether obscure or well-known - would be great.

What poems make you swoon? Which make you wish they were written specifically to or about you? Which make you blush? Which are so beautifully erotic, they...well, we'll leave it at that.

Can be individual lines, entire poems, whatever you have, as long as you provide the title and author as well. Post in the comments section or e-mail me privately.

Come on, folks - show me your poetic parts!

6 comments:

  1. I demand you get Closer writ nao.

    I has spoken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit later than your period, but in tune with it: Andrew Marvell. "The Definition of Love" and "To His Coy Mistress" are obvious, but how about "The Garden"

    "What wond'rous life is this I lead!
    Ripe apples drop about my head;
    The luscious clusters of the vine
    Upon my mouth do crush their wine;
    The nectarine and curious peach,
    Into my hands themselves do reach;
    Stumbling on melons, as I pass,
    Insnar'd with flow'rs, I fall on grass."

    Will that do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin - yes, that will do quite nicely, thanks!

    Keep 'em coming, folks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have specific poems to quote, but you could take a look at Edmund Spenser, the other Elizabethan poet. Chaucer is a bit earlier, but there is his Wife of Bath's tale. 17th century poets to consider: John Donne, Ben Johnson, and John Milton.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must read Signior Dildo: http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/signior-dildo/

    Okay, seriously, now. These are a bit before the time you're researching, but your character might be interested in them. You know how I am with the ancient histories.


    Sappho's Ode to a Loved One has always given me chills, especially this translation by Ambrose Philips. Philips was a poet living in the right time frame; maybe you should check out more of his work: http://www.poetry-archive.com/s/ode_to_a_loved_one.html

    I'm not a lot of help, though, because I think this is the greatest poem ever written: http://www.organicmechanic.org/2005/04/the-two-headed-calf/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I also intended to throw it out there that Ovid was a dirty, dirty bastard, as evidenced here: http://www.poetry-archive.com/o/either_she_was_fool.html It's long, I know, so just skip around. It's all dirtiness.

    ReplyDelete