Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A Writing Survey.

These are some questions posed to authors at a recent chat. I missed the chat, but I'm bored, so I feel like answering the questions.

What makes a good book to you? Story? Characters? Exotic locations?

Characters and conflict. The characters have to behave in believable ways while responding to conflicts that make sense and are actually, you know, conflicts. It doesn't even have to be a catastrophic, earth-shattering conflict, just something that knocks the character's world off-kilter. I have to care about the characters, and I have to have a reason to worry about them until the end.

What's your favorite pizza toppings?

Pineapple. Lots and lots of pineapple.

What´s the worst thing you´ve ever done to one of your characters?

Well, my fantasy characters have quite literally been through hell and back, but as far as my contemporary characters, I think Scarlett would agree that the worst thing I've ever done was inflict a blinding migraine on someone. Okay, so it's not the worst thing, but I'm sure he thought it was pretty bad at the time. The absolute worst? The one that immediately comes to mind is forcing one of them to perform a delicate emergency medical procedure with a gun to his head. In a few chapters, I'm going to have him half-strangled and give him a concussion. That's to say nothing about his stalker, the death threats, and conflict within his relationship. So, I'd say he's had it the worst so far.

Which of your books contains the sexiest love scene?

Going to have to vote for World Enough and Time. There are two scenes in particular in that book that are, I think, my best.

Which of your covers is your favorite?

Between Brothers, hands down. Amanda Kelsey is a fantastically talented cover artist. But I reserve the right to change my mind about my favorite if my suggestions are used for The Next Move, Nine Tenths of the Law, or The Distance Between Us, especially since at least one of those will also be by Amanda.

Which of your books was the easiest to write? The hardest?

The hardest so far is The Ties That Bind, and I still haven't finished it. Easiest? Probably The Distance Between Us. It had its difficulties, but for the most part, it wrote itself.

What is coming in 2010 from you?

More books, I hope! I have 5 on the query-go-round right now, with #6 about to join them. Expect more dirty romances, gay romances, and quite possibly an erotic thriller. Maybe even a literary novel or two.

Where can readers find you on the web?

www.loriawitt.com And...you know...here.

If you could meet any character from any book, who would it be, what would you do and why?

Connor Graham. And that's all I'm going to say to that.

1 comment:

  1. Just a by the way, I finished Between Brothers a few days ago. So. Good. Though it was hard to choose, Eric ended up being my favorite. It was the tats. I love me some ink.

    ReplyDelete